One of our members’ favorite things about the Elite Sports Clubs are our staff and instructors. It really is the people of Elite that make these clubs unique. Today we’d like to introduce you to another one of our amazing group exercise instructors, Cate Charlton.
Meet Cate Charlton:
1. What classes do you currently teach? HIIT, Step, Sculpt, Pilates, Stretch
2. How long have you been teaching group exercise? 35 years
3. What made you want to start teaching group exercise? I started taking dance classes at age 4, and continued into my mid twenties. Then, I heard about this new thing called “Aerobic Dance” and when I tried it I was hooked. I wanted to teach it because I loved doing it. In the early 80’s I had an exercise studio called Kicks, then started teaching at Le Club; I moved to California and taught there for 10 years; then came back to Milwaukee and returned to teaching at Le Club which is now Elite.
4. What is your favorite part about teaching your class(es)? I love the energy generated when a group of people are exercising together to great music. I also like the creativity involved in coming up with new choreography or combinations of moves.
5. What is your favorite song or style of music to teach to? I don’t have any favorites…I like whatever kind of music fits the type of class I’m teaching.
6. What is your favorite exercise to do in your class? I love burpees and do them in all my high intensity classes. There are so many variations, they work virtually every muscle in the body, and are great for cardio fitness. I also love planks for mostly the same reasons.
7. How do you stay active outside of your own classes? My job as a chiropractor is quite active. I take the stairs instead of the elevator; park at the far edges of parking lots…anything I can to generate NEAT. (non-exercise activity thermogenesis)
8. What else do you enjoy doing in your free time? What free time? 😉
9. What advice do you give people who are coming into your classes for the first time? Have a sense of humor, don’t be too hard on yourself, listen to your body and don’t be shy about modifying the moves. Also, KEEP AT IT!
10. What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life? Go for baby steps, don’t try to change everything in your life at once. Treat yourself with kindness and patience. Maybe make one small change in your diet (eat more veggies); go for slightly heavier weights or more reps in the gym; and challenge yourself to try a new group exercise class you’ve never done before.
Have you taken a class with Cate Charlton? Tell us about your experience!Share Your Story!