Meet Mary Kay Heinz, the Youth Programs Director at Elite Sports Club-Mequon! Mary Kay is great with all the Elite kids, and loves to instill excitement for physical activity in all the youth programs she develops at the clubs. Learn more about Mary Kay’s experience in the industry and her own fitness triumphs!
Get to Know Mary Kay Heinz
- What position(s) do you currently hold at Elite and any you have held in the past?
I am the Youth Programs Director at Elite-Mequon.
- How long have you been working in the health/fitness/tennis industry and how long have you worked at Elite?
I have been a part of the health club world for about six years now. I started at Elite in March 2020. Previously, I was a school age and camp coordinator at the YMCA for 5 years.
- What made you want to start working in this industry and/or for Elite?
I wanted to grow not only in my career, but as a person. I get the love of the gym and kids all in one area. I get to meet new people all the time, and build relationships every day. In the Elite setting, I also get to make connections within the community.
- What is your favorite part about your job?
The kids I see everyday!
- What activities do you participate in at the club or outside of the club that are health/fitness/tennis related?
I play and coach volleyball. I coach for Wisconsin Premier Volleyball Club, and have been there for 6 years now. I also love to lift, run, bike, and be active outside. I also get a great workout running around with the kids all day!
- What has been your biggest personal struggle with health/fitness/tennis?
Coming up with new ideas. I get in ruts of doing the same lift or workout with similar movements. Sometimes it’s a case of working on too small of range. I also seem to not find my groove with working out anymore, considering I just a had a baby. I work out but not like I used to.
- What has been your biggest personal accomplishment with health/fitness/tennis?
When I was in college, I was one of the strongest and quickest girls on the volleyball and track team. Since college I was so proud I never stopped working out, and got stronger. After having a baby I was under my pregnancy weight after a few short months.
- What advice do you give people who are coming to the club for the first time?
We are in this together! I know you are scared but we are doing everything we can to be there for you and cater to your needs.
- What advice do you give people who are struggling to make health/fitness/tennis a priority or are getting bored/burned out?
Little baby steps will turn into huge strides. Just give it a little more time, and you will see a difference.
- What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life in general?
It’s okay to fail, but don’t ever give up. Giving up is the easy way out, and you will never be happy if you always give up and don’t try. Its only hard for a second, and afterwards you will feel so much better.
We love to tell stories about our staff and our members. If you have a story to share, tell us all about it and we’ll share it on our blog!Share Your Story!