We’re thrilled to announce that Carey Bongard has been named our new General Manager at Elite Sports Club-North Shore! Carey has been with us for many years and worked in a variety of roles. Get to know more about her background in this staff highlight!
Get to Know Carey Bongard
- What position(s) do you currently hold at Elite and any you have held in the past?
I’m the new General Manager of Elite-North Shore. Previously, I was the Front Desk Supervisor and have worked in the playroom in past years.
- How long have you been working in the health/fitness/tennis industry and how long have you worked at Elite?
I started working at Elite Sports Club in November 2004 part-time at the front desk.
- What made you want to start working in this industry and/or for Elite?
My husband Tony and I were members first. I decided to stay home after our first child was born and in November of 2004, Alice asked me if I would be interested in a part-time position for a few hours a week. The opportunity seemed perfect!
- What is your favorite part about your job?
The members! It definitely is so rewarding to get to know so many members and being able to be there for them. I love that I can be a resource of information – to be able to suggest exercise classes, tennis socials, and introduce members to instructors as well as other members. It’s all about getting members connected.
- What activities do you participate in at the club or outside of the club that are health/fitness/tennis related?
I do enjoy working out at the club and taking classes. Outside the club, I enjoy hanging with my three kids. I’m either throwing balls in the backyard or biking with them or being their number one fan at their games.
- What has been your biggest personal struggle with health/fitness/tennis?
Staying consistent and making healthy eating choices.
- What has been your biggest personal accomplishment with health/fitness/tennis?
Making connections with the members and staff. Working out has become much more enjoyable when I can work out with a friend. I always like having that friend or instructor give me that extra push and it always pays off.
- What advice do you give people who are coming to the club for the first time?
Don’t be shy and try something you think you won’t like. I was always intimidated by BodyPump but I decided to try the class this summer and I love it. I even got my husband to do the class.
- What advice do you give people who are struggling to make health/fitness/tennis a priority or are getting bored/burned out?
Get in touch with a personal trainer, tennis instructor, or one of our nutritionist on staff. They are here for you and will always have great ideas or suggestions to help you with a new routine.
- What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life in general?
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE! Be patient, train hard, and keep your goals reachable.
We love to tell stories about our staff and our members. If you have a story to share, tell us all about it and we’ll share it on our blog!Share Your Story!