Just in time for Thanksgiving, try this seasonal soup featuring jalapeno peppers and onions to create a flavorful butternut squash soup perfect for your holiday gathering!
Prep Time: 45-60 minutes; includes ingredient preparation and cook time.
- 2-Tbsp. butter
- 2-medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrots, chopped
- 2-cloves, chopped fine
- 2 1⁄2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2-jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. turmeric as ground spice
- 5-cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-cup tomato puree
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Cover the pan. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 3 or 4-minutes, until soft.
- Stir in the butternut squash, jalapenos, chicken broth, and tomato puree.
- Bring to a simmer; cook for 30-minutes.
- Mash the squash to a chunky puree with a potato masher or the back of a spoon.
- Add turmeric; salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and pass lime wedges separately to be squeezed into each bowl of soup.
Each serving provides a good source of vitamin A and C, folate, magnesium, potassium, and fiber. Calories: 128; Fats: 3.1gm; Fiber: 4 gm; Sodium: 365 mg; Protein: 4 gm; Carbohydrate: 24 gm.Get more recipes, follow us on Pinterest!
By Rita Larsen, RDN; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor