Many of you probably already know Marla Primack, one of our instructors at Elite Sports Club – River Glen. She has great energy and brings a lot of fun to our complimentary group exercise classes offered every week. For those of you who don’t already know her, or just want to know a little more about her, keep reading!
Meet Marla Primack:
1. What classes do you currently teach? I teach Burn & Firm at 9:15 Tuesday mornings and Zumba® on Tuesdays at 6:15 p.m., Thursdays at 9:15 a.m and Saturdays at 9:00 a.m.
2. How long have you been teaching group exercise? 27 years.
3. What made you want to start teaching group exercise? I had an interest in college but right after I was married, I worked part time at a club called Living Well Lady. The instructor of my Free Dance class was going on maternity leave and thought I would be a great replacement since I knew all of the routines. I knew that leading the classes was something that I would be able to do confidently as I had a great understanding of musicality and innate rhythm and never have to think about how I am going to cue. It just came naturally to me.
I went through their training program and began to teach step and aerobics too. Meanwhile, my husband and I joined a great club in our area that had nationally recognized presenters on staff. I wanted to work there so I went in and they told me to get a nationally recognized certifications and to keep taking their classes. I got my AFAA and was on the sub lists immediately. I subbed for anyone and everyone and soon had my own classes. Step, aerobics and strength. Next, I was one of the first groups of SPIN instructors and then all of the other formats. I continue to teach because I love group exercise. I love to motivate people to do something for themselves to better themselves and I like them to enjoy it at the same time!
4. What is your favorite part about teaching your class(es)? My favorite part about teaching is seeing the smiles on my participants faces or hearing their stories about how my class has changed their lives either physically, mentally or emotionally.
5. What is your favorite song or style of music to teach to? My all time favorite song is September by Earth Wind and Fire, but I love to listen and dance to all music of all different genres!
6. What is your favorite exercise to do in your class? Everything in Zumba and probably squats or lunges in my strength class.
7. How do you stay active outside of your own classes? Because I teach so much and have some health issues and injuries, I really just enjoy walking my dog or doing body weight exercises and core at home. I have learned to workout smarter not harder with age.
8. What else do you enjoy doing in your free time? My guilty pleasure is watching tv before bed but one of my favorite hobbies is cooking clean food meals.
9. What advice do you give people who are coming into your classes for the first time? My advice would be to be more observant than participatory the first few times and to give my class or any class at least three times before deciding it’s not for them.
10. What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life? MY biggest advice here would be to focus on one change at a time. For example. Don’t start a new diet, a new exercise program, commit to drinking a certain amount of water , sleeping and meditating at the SAME TIME! Focus on the most important thing and when you get that under control, add the next most important thing.
Have you taken a class with Marla Primack? What did you think? Tell us about it in the comments or share your own success story!