Katie Van Arendonk is a certified yoga instructor at Elite Sports Club-Brookfield. Learn about Katie’s background teaching yoga in Milwaukee!
Meet Katie Van Arendonk
- What classes do you currently teach?
I teach Vinyasa Flow – Wednesday mornings from 9:15-10:15 am at Elite-Brookfield.
- How long have you been teaching group exercise?
I have been teaching for 11 months in the greater Milwaukee area.
- What made you want to start teaching group exercise?
Yoga dovetails well with my educational training as a doctor of physical therapy, and I love that students arrive at the studio with a personal desire to simply move their bodies in a meaningful and mindful manner.
- What is your favorite part about teaching your class(es)?
I enjoy the opportunity to lead students through a sequence that slowly and systematically unfolds until the “method to the madness” is evident and they are executing a new or familiar pose with greater efficiency and confidence.
- What is your favorite song or style of music to teach to?
My musical preferences are rather eclectic so it’s hard to choose one style of music. However, I do love the song “Hallelujah” at the end of a class during the final resting pose.
- What is your favorite exercise to do in your class?
- How do you stay active outside of your own classes?
I am an avid runner. To date, I have completed 24 marathons in 23 states + Washington D.C. I have 27 more states to go before I accomplish my goal of completing a marathon in every state.
- What else do you enjoy doing in your free time?
I am married and the mother of four children (ages 11, 9, 7 & 6) so a lot of my “free time” is spent with my family. We love a good outdoor adventure in and around MKE, and when feasible we enjoy traveling to new places to explore different parts of the country or visit family and friends.
- What advice do you give people who are coming into your classes for the first time?
Simply do your best, and remember, it’s just yoga.
- What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life?
Simply start where you are, be consistent, and embrace the journey. Leading a healthy lifestyle is a “both-and” experience. There will be both good days and bad days . . . take them as they come and just keep showing up.
Have you taken a class with Katie Van Arendonk? Tell us about your experience, or perhaps your own personal health & fitness story!Share Your Story!