Here’s a few ideas for some festive drinks that will be sure to get you into the spirit of the season (or at least warm up from the cold weather) without all the calories!
Chaos Calming Tea
Try chamomile and apple mix to calm the nerves and relax, if just for a moment. It will ease you into a sweet slumber. Sip at night before bed or when you are feeling frazzled.
- Mix 1⁄2-cup apple cider and 1⁄2-cup water in a mug and heat for two minutes.
- Remove from heat and add 1-chamomile tea bag with 1-lemon peel slice and 1 whole cinnamon stick.
- Steep for 5-minutes. (Remove the tea bag, lemon peel and cinnamon stick and enjoy!)
Bone Boosting Cocoa
Cocoa can be a refreshing drink plus provide you with calcium rich milk we don’t always take the time to drink. Dark chocolate, on the other hand, contributes to strong bones and has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Heat 1-cup milk (skim, soy, or unsweetened almond) in a small saucepan over medium heat until the milk begins to steam.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in 1-tsp sugar, 1⁄4-tsp. peppermint extract, and 1/4 –cup dark unsweetened chocolate chips.
- Whisk until the chocolate is melted, then pour into a mug and enjoy!
- If desired, you can also use a sugar substitute instead of the sugar.
By Rita Larsen, RDN; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor