Maybe you’ve taken a class or trained with Dory Karinen. Or maybe you’ve read her blog posts on comparing yourself to others, and drinking water for weight loss. Or maybe you don’t know her at all! We’ll here’s your chance to get to know a little bit more about Dory and how she got started as an exercise instructor.
Meet Dory Karinen:
1. What classes do you currently teach? Body Pump, Cycle, Barre, TRX, Tabata
2. How long have you been teaching group exercise? 25 years
3. What made you want to start teaching group exercise? I had enjoyed going to group classes during my college years and thought it would be fun to be an instructor. I was inspired by and was fortunate enough to be mentored by a fabulous Elite instructor named Jill Jelinski. Her enthusiasm, professionalism and patience really helped me to step out of my comfort zone. She inspired me to use my skills and personality to encourage and lead others on their fitness journey.
4. What is your favorite part about teaching your class(es)? The enthusiastic members that come to my classes and leave with sweat dripping and mouths smiling!
5. What your favorite song or style of music to teach to? NOT wordless techno!
7. How do you stay active outside of your own classes? Cycle outdoors, StepMill, Kayak, and strength train.
8. What else do you enjoy doing in your free time? Reading and just about anything that gets me outside.
9. What advice do you give people who are coming into your classes for the first time? Start slow and realize everyone else started where you are today, so they won’t judge. They get it!
10. What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life? Start small. Make your lifestyle changes one at a time. Pick a goal, focus on it and achieve it before taking on another.
Have you taken a class with Dory Karinen? Or worked with her in some other capacity? Tell us about it!Share Your Story!