I really enjoy this satisfying lentils recipe that I revamped from a french cookbook. It can be served as a salad on lettuce leaves in the summer or as a warm soup in the winter. You can also serve with a drizzle of olive oil over the top and hot turkey sausage.
Prep Time: 50 minutes to 1 hour
Serving Size: 1.5 cup
- 2 tbsp plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 leek, white and light green parts, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 carrots, scrubbed and 1/2 inch diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic, about 2 cloves
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 whole onion, peeled, and stuck with 6 whole cloves
- 1 white turnip, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp salted butter
- 4 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp champagne vinegar
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil and add the leek, carrots, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until soft.
- Meanwhile, put the lentils, 4 cups of water, the onion with cloves, and turnip in a large saucepan. Lower heat, add the leek and carrot mixture, and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until the lentils are almost soft.
- Remove and discard the onion, turnip, and strain the lentils if you are making salad.* If you are making soup, leave in the broth. Add the butter on top.**
- *Whisk together the 1/4 cup of olive oil, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour over the top of the salad.
- **As an ingredient in a soup, add the oil mixture and 4 cups of water, and continue to cook for about 45 minutes.
As a soup, this mixture will be approximately 1.5 cup serving containing 186 calories, 12g fiber, 625mg sodium, 10g protein, 2.5g sugar, and high in vitamin A and Iron.
As a salad, this recipe comes in at about 225 calories, and the nutrients are approximately the same.Get more recipes, follow us on Pinterest!
Written by Rita Larsen, RDN, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor
Rita is certified in Positive Psychology, University of Penn; has a BS in Dietetics from Kansas State University; and an Internship and Masters at the Indiana University Medical Center.Schedule a Nutrition Consultation