What’s that saying about ingredients in food? Something about there shouldn’t be more than 5 and you should be able to pronounce them all…Well this super simple 5 ingredient granola bar recipe fits the bill! This is also a recipe that you can make with your children. It is much better than store bought and will keep covered in the refrigerator.
Super Simple 5 Ingredient Granola Bar Recipe
- 1 cup nut butter, any nut or seed that you like
- 6 Tbsp clover honey
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 box or 8 oz. chunky flax cereal*
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Microwave nut butter and honey for 1minute in a large bowl, add salt and vanilla, stir in
- Chocolate can be added next or sprinkled on top.
- Spread in 7 by 11 pan and push down firmly with hands or metal spoon.
- Cut into portions or just break into chunks
Flaxseed is very healthy for you and can be kept as seed in the refrigerator or as a cereal on the shelf. The grain itself should be ground before using in baked products or smoothies. It is high in fiber, contains omega3 fatty acids, and considered to be good for heart health. Companies that make flax seed cereal are Nature’s Path, Kashi, or Special K. This super simple 5 ingredient granola bar recipe is only 102 calories for a 2-inch by 3-inch piece.
*Note: Be sure to store flaxseed in air tight containers. Also putting it in the refrigerator
will help to extend life. Such a great nutty taste that it is a good idea to put into drinks and baked goods.
Written by Rita Larsen, RDN, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor
Rita is certified in Positive Psychology, University of Penn; has a BS in Dietetics from Kansas State University; and an Internship and Masters at the Indiana University Medical Center.Schedule a Nutrition Consultation