Green beans are a great summer staple in your garden or local farmers market. (Try the Thiensville Farmers Market every Tuesday, and come visit Elite’s booth for a free TRX workout with a Personal Trainer!) This recipe calls for fresh green beans, mixed with cooked mushrooms, and topped with lemon zest, walnuts, Parmesan cheese, and salt & pepper to taste. A very simple side suitable for your next get-together, or family dinner. You can even get the kids involved cleaning and preparing the beans!
- 1 lb Fresh Green Beans, trimmed
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 8 oz. sliced Fresh Mushrooms of your choice
- 1 tsp Finely Grated Lemon Zest
- 1⁄4 cup Chopped Walnuts (optional: toast lightly in a dry pan over medium heat until fragrant)
- 1⁄4 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Cook green beans in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp, but tender, about 5 minutes.
- Drain into a colander; rinse green beans under cold water to stop cooking and keep their bright color; drain well.
- In large nonstick skillet over medium heat saute mushrooms in olive oil until tender and their juices have evaporated, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in green beans; heat through.
- Top with zest, walnuts, cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.
Try this with grilled chicken, or fresh seafood that you buy—or better yet, catch!Get more recipes, follow us on Pinterest!
By Rita Larsen, RD, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor