Summers are busy. Whether you’re traveling or just trying to keep up with life around home and work, healthy make-ahead recipes can simplify things and keep your diet on track while you are on the go.
There are so many great make-ahead recipes out there, it was difficult to find just a few of our favorites to share with you. But we did our best and chose an on-the-go breakfast, a quick and easy take-along snack, and an easy to pack lunch.
Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars
Here is an easy make-ahead recipe that is an absolutely delicious breakfast. It will be happy to tag along with you wherever you may roam! An added bonus: this recipe is also refined-sugar-free!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup uncooked white quinoa, rinsed
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 large, ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- optional: ¼ – ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F
- Spray or grease a 9×9” baking dish with coconut oil
- In a large bowl combine rolled oats, quinoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt
- Add in Bananas, flax, peanut butter, coconut oil and maple syrup; stir until well-combined
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips
- Let batter sit for 10 minutes to let flax absorb some liquid
- Add batter to baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until edges are crisp and center is cooked through
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days
Peanut Butter Energy Bites
This quick, no-bake treat is the perfect on-the-go snack. With only 5-ingredients, it’s protein packed and mighty tasty.
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- 2 tbsp honey
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; stir to combine
- Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes to make dough easier to roll
- Roll into 12 bites
- Store in the refrigerator
Mason White Bean Salad Jar
A marinated white bean salad that tastes better the longer it sits? Yes, please! This is a perfect make-ahead recipe for you when you’re on the go. So if you’re catching a plane, a train, or a bus, this will make a delicious meal for the week or to take with you when you’re traveling. Plus the mason jar keeps things tightly sealed and perfectly compact.
For the Marinated White Bean Salad
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp dry mustard powder
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1, 15oz can white beans
For the Salad Jars:
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 cups packed arugula
- Make the Marinated White Bean Salad: In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, vinegar, thyme, lemon zest, mustard powder, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. While whisking, slowly drizzle in oil until all oil is incorporated. Add beans and toss to combine.
- Divide Marinated White Bean Salad equally among 4 pint-sized mason jars. Layer onion, tomatoes, and arugula, ending with arugula. Top with lids and refrigerate up to 3 days. To serve, pour onto plate or bowl, stir and enjoy.
Mason jar salads are perfect make-ahead recipes, whether you’re making just one, or a week’s worth. And, the options of recipes for them is nearly endless.Get more recipes, follow us on Pinterest!