Here’s your opportunity to get to know a little bit about Kelly Kirtley! She’s a group exercise instructor at our Elite Sports Club – Brookfield location and this interview will give you a little insight into how she got started teaching and advice for those wanting to get healthier.
Meet Kelly Kirtley:
1. What classes do you currently teach?
Vinyasa Yoga and Gentle/Beginner Yoga on Friday and Saturday mornings.
2. How long have you been teaching group exercise?
Since September 2006
3. What made you want to start teaching group exercise?
It just kind of happened. I started doing yoga regularly after my last child was born. I am naturally flexible and it was a good fit for me. There was something about it that drew me in. Even though I was uncomfortable with the thought of being in front of the class I accepted the offer when I was asked if I would like to teach. A few years later I went through formal training and received my 200 hour yoga teacher certification in June of 2009.
4. What is your favorite part about teaching your class(es)?
Getting to know people, sharing what I love and spending time with others who love yoga.
5. What your favorite song or style of music to teach to?
Liquid Mind. It is very calming but not distracting.
6. What is your favorite exercise to do in your class?
I don’t have a favorite pose but perhaps some that I like doing less/more than others.
7. How do you stay active outside of your own classes?
8. What else do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Hiking, traveling, volunteering and spending time with my 3 children.
9. What advice do you give people who are coming into your classes for the first time?
Give yourself time to get to know yourself, your abilities and limitations in a nonjudgmental way.
10. What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life?
Give yourself permission to do anything that is going to contribute to a healthier you. Think less and get started.
Are you a fan of Kelly Kirtley and her classes? Share your experience in the comments or submit your own story to be featured right here on the Elite blog!Share Your Story!