Did you know that those who work desk jobs are more likely to lose muscle tone, experience back pain, gain weight, and suffer from high amounts of stress? People who have sitting jobs are 2x more likely to get cardiovascular disease, they only burn one calorie per minute, and the enzymes that help break down fat drops 90 percent! Sitting has become the silent killer.
We understand that working a desk job could be completely out of your control. But there are things you can do to improve your health while being at the office.
These tips will keep you happy, healthy, and fit even at the most demanding of desk jobs!
Simple Office Workouts
It’s understandable that high intensity workouts are not reasonable in an office setting – but there are simple exercises you can do at work.
Try these simple, yet effective, office workouts:
- Leg Raises: Sit with your knees and ankles together at a 90-degree angle. Simply raise your legs simultaneously a few inches off the ground. Complete 20 reps.
- Standing Push-ups: This exercise can be done using a sturdy wall or right at your desk. Stand a few feet away from the your desk and lean forward so your palms rest on the desktop. Keeping your legs shoulder’s width apart, bend at your elbows and lower your body towards the desk. Hold for a couple seconds then push your body back to the starting position. Complete 20 reps. Check out these other push up variations!
- Wall Sits: If you are a little embarrassed to do this in your office, make a quick stop to the restroom to complete this 1-minute workout! Press your body against a sturdy wall and sit like you’re sitting in an invisible chair (make sure your knees are at a 90 degree angle.) Hold this pose for 30-60 seconds. Complete this exercise several times a day – aim for every time you go to the restroom!
- Tricep Desk Dips: Sit on the very edge of your desk facing the opposite way, and place your palms on the edge of the desk. Keeping your feet together, bend at the elbows and slide forward off of the desk and dip down a few inches, and then push back up. Your elbows should be at a 90-degree angle. Do 20 reps.
- Resistance Band Exercises: Resistance training is extremely effective. Resistance bands are one of lightest and most portable pieces of workout equipment and are perfect for the office. Check these awesome resistance band exercises for your legs!
Note: If you’re not ready for these office workouts, just get moving! Get up every 30 minutes and get some water, use the restroom, stretch, or just take a quick lap around the office. The key is getting your body in motion whatever way possible.
Every cell, tissue, and organ in your body needs water to function. Not getting enough water at work can make you feel sluggish, make it hard to focus, and can slow down metabolism.
Bring a large water bottle to work and fill it throughout the day. If you have a hard time remembering to drink your water, download the Daily Water app. This app sends reminders to your phone to drink up! You can set how often you get these reminders (we recommend to drink at least one full glass every hour).
Pack Your Lunches
Yes, those donuts in the lunchroom look like a pretty tasty lunch option. But don’t give in to office food temptations! Pack your lunches the night before so you are not rummaging for food when noon rolls around. Make sure to pack some healthy snacks as well!
Note: Have to take a client out for lunch or have a meeting with a coworker? Go for a salad with light dressing or a dish with lean proteins and veggies. Also, skip the juice or soda, and drink water instead!
Practice Stress Management
If sitting is the silent killer, stress is its partner in crime. Stress can cause weight gain, anxiety, poor sleep habits, lack of focus, and other serious health conditions.
Adopt several stress management techniques that you can incorporate into your work and home life. Is the boss on your case more than usual? Take a few minutes to get some fresh air and do some deep breathing. Even better, participate in yoga during your lunch hour to de-stress.
Prepare a Gym Bag
You can achieve a happy and healthy lifestyle no matter what life throws at you. But if you are still looking for extra motivation and direction, we can help!Get Started! Tell us about your goals!