Use your end of the summer vegetables that you have in abundance for this “one of a kind” recipe! After all, tomatoes are your first choice vegetable for good nutrition! From my long-time friend, Ellen G.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium green pepper
- 3-4 large radishes
- 1 large jar of pimento, drained
- 1 large clove of garlic split
- 1⁄4 cup of vegetable oil (olive oil is too strong)
- 1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- dash of black pepper
- In a blender, combine 1 tomato, half the cucumber, half the onion, 1⁄4 green pepper, pimento, and 1⁄2 cups of tomato juice. Blend for 30 seconds.
- In a large bowl, mix pureed vegetables with the remaining tomato juice, oil, vinegar, Tabasco, garlic, salt and pepper.
- In the blender, coarsely chop the remaining tomato, cucumber, onion, green pepper, and radishes. Add to bowl. Chill.
- Serve in chilled bowls. If desired, add seasoned croutons and chopped chives.
This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2-weeks. Can be warmed, so think of using it during the winter!
81 calories; .5 g Fat; 44 mg Sodium, 19 g Carbohydrates, 3 g Protein; high in vitamin A and C.Get more recipes, follow us on Pinterest!
By Rita Larsen, RD, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor