Would you be able to squeeze in 10-minute exercises here and there, even on your busiest of days?
45-60 minutes is the recommended amount of time to be spent exercising for weight loss and fitness. But sometimes finding that chunk of time every day is a challenge. And other times, it’s just not going to happen. Life gets busy for us all, and then we’re left feeling guilty, tired, or defeated because we missed, yet again, another workout. But what if you only needed 10 minutes?
Sometimes, when life gets in the way, it’s best to drop the “all or nothing” thinking and squeeze in a little exercise here and there when you can. But keep in mind that squeezing in 10-minute exercises throughout the day is meant to be a supplement to your regular routine for busy days; not a replacement.
Here are a few simple ways to work exercise into your day – at home, at the office, or out with the kids – when you’re tight on time:
- When you step outside to grab the morning paper, take a brisk 5-minute power walk up the street and back.
- Jog in place while you watch the morning news on television.
- Instead of putting the dog out for his morning ritual, walk him around the block a couple times before you leave for the day.
- Homebound? Do 5-10 minutes of calorie burning jumping jacks three times throughout the day.
- Walk briskly around the block while you wait for your child to attend lessons or appointments.
- Take the kids to the park and play catch or kickball.
- Walk to work on pleasant days, if you live close enough.
- If you’re heading out for lunch, choose a restaurant that’s within walking distance. If it’s quite close, walk around the block and back before you eat, and again on your way back to the office.
- Use your break time to climb stairs.
- Try doing 5-10 minutes of standing pushups at the kitchen counter while you’re waiting for a pot of water to boil or for supper to finish up in the oven.
- After dinner, go outside and play tag or shoot hoops with your kids and their friends.
- Do bodyweight leg exercises like squats, leg lifts, or wall sits while you’re checking the weather or watching your favorite shows.
If you still want more ideas on how to sneak in 10-minute exercises, check out Popsugar’s 10-Minute Workouts.