This relish or simple side comes to us from an Elite Sports Club – North Shore member and grandmother, who enjoys making this for her family with fresh vegetables right out of the garden. In my opinion, it is far tastier than just a regular platter of cucumber and tomatoes. And at this time of year, you may be looking for some new ways to serve this plentiful dish.
Wilted Cucumber & Tomato Relish Recipe
Makes 3-5- cups total
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 3-whole cucumbers, cleaned, peeled, and sliced thin
- 5-tomatoes, large, slice in 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2-cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2-cup water
- 1-Tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Herbs to taste, from your garden, can be added, chopped
- Cut up and layer cucumber and tomatoes in a dish.
- Heat wilting solution in a pan until boiling; water, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the vegetables. Cool in refrigerator until wilted and ready to serve.
- Add your fresh herbs; parsley, basil, and thyme as desired.
This relish will last several days in the refrigerator. Cover, and keep eating!
Good source of vitamin A & C, several minerals, less than 50 calories per serving.
Enjoy the rest of your summer bounty!Get more recipes, follow us on Pinterest!
Written by Rita Larsen, RDN, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor
Rita is certified in Positive Psychology, University of Penn; has a BS in Dietetics from Kansas State University; and an Internship and Masters at the Indiana University Medical Center.Schedule a Nutrition Consultation