Prepare at the last minute before serving your dinner! Dry heat in the oven or on the grill is a favorite way to cook many vegetables, including asparagus. If you remember the way that your mother probably used to cook on the stove until it was overcooked, this is an all new taste. Children will love it and can eat as a finger food.
- 1-bunch or 1-pound fresh asparagus
- Olive Oil to drizzle, 1-teaspoon for 6 asparagus
- Salt, sea salt preferred
- Pepper, freshly ground
- Lemon Juice, just a few drops for taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and prepare asparagus by cutting lower ends, by about 1-inch.
- Place on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil. Roll in olive oil until well coated.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Bake 10 minutes or until you detect the fresh aroma of asparagus. Asparagus should be tender.
Note: You can also grill on an outdoor grill except no pan or cookie sheet is needed. Turn once during grilling, should be ready in 5-6 minutes.
- High in dietary fiber, as well as rich in vitamin A and C, iron, and calcium.
- Provides naturally occurring carbohydrates.
By Rita Larsen, RD, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor