Jim Mussomelli is a highly passionate yoga instructor at our West Brookfield location who loves to share his enthusiasm of yoga with everyone. Learn more about Jim’s passion for yoga, what made him become a yoga instructor and his philosophy on health and fitness!
Meet Jim Mussomelli
- What classes do you currently teach?
All my classes are at West Brookfield:
Monday 10:15am – Hatha Yoga
Wednesday 10:15am – Mixed Yoga
Friday 5pm – Yoga Sculpt
- How long have you been teaching yoga?
2 1/2 years
- What made you want to start teaching yoga?
Yoga found me at a low point in my life. It was never something I had imagined doing or for that matter ever teaching. Early on within my practice, I was feeling a calm I had never before experienced. How could I not want to share that with the world?
- What is your favorite part about teaching your class(es)?
Seeing for myself, and hearing about the changes people experience through their yoga practice both physical and emotional.
- What is your favorite song or style of music to teach to?
My favorite artists to play in class are Alice In Chains and David Bowie. Funny thing is I almost never play either one. I’ll have to fix that!
- What is your favorite pose to do in your class?
My favorite pose is really basic – Supported Bridge Pose. It’s a gentle stretch for the lower back, front of the hips, belly, and chest. We usually hold it for 3 – 4 minutes. It’s a great setup for Shavasana.
- How do you stay active outside of your own classes?
I do yoga and weight train 5 – 7 days a week.
- What else do you enjoy doing in your free time?
Raising my 11-year-old son Jake and our 2-year-old pup Janice. Listening to loads of hard rock music and old-school R&B. Also drinking coffee with friends, and taking yoga classes around town.
- What advice do you give people who are coming into your classes for the first time?
First, to laugh at all my jokes. Seriously though, yoga is a PRACTICE, not a PERFECT. You’ll feel a little lost at first, and you’re not going to master anything maybe ever. It’s a microcosm of life. Yoga meets you wherever you are. All ages, body types, and levels of fitness. There’s an internet meme I love featuring Batman and Robin. Robin says “I would go to yoga but I’m not flexible.” Batman slaps Robin and says, “THAT’S WHY YOU GO TO YOGA.”
- What personal advice do you give someone who is looking to get to a healthier point in their life?
Figure out what you want, don’t wait until something happens before you take the next step, and visualize daily what your life will be like when you achieve your goals.
Have you taken a class with Jim Mussomelli? Tell us about your experience, or perhaps your own personal health & fitness story!
[maxbutton id=”12″ ]