Getting a little tired of chips and salsa or guacamole at your family picnics or Brewers tailgate parties? Maybe it’s about time you tried this simple black bean dip recipe. Take it a step further with homemade pita chips to really “wow” your family and friends with your awesome healthy cooking skills.
Black Bean Dip with Fresh Lime
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 15.5 oz. can no salt added black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/4 c. snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbs. chopped red onion
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbs. water
- 1 Tbs. mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. red hot pepper sauce (optional)
In a food processor or blender, process all the ingredients. Serve with fresh cut vegetables and homemade pita chips.
Bean Dip, Per serving (2 Tbs.): 50 calories, 2g fiber, 7g carbs, 2g protein
Homemade Pita Chips
Preparation Time: 10-12 minutes
- 1 pkg whole wheat pita bread (or 4 whole pitas)
- 2 Tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt, pepper, and other seasoning (to taste)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice pita into thin, chip sized pieces. Spread evenly onto baking sheet. Brush with oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and seasonings. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
Pita Chips, Per serving (8 chips): 125 calories, 5g fat, 17g carbs, 3g protein, 240mg sodiumGet more recipes, follow us on Pinterest!
By Rita Larsen, RD, CD; Elite Sports Clubs Nutrition Educator & Diet Counselor