Have you ever had your feet fly out from underneath you on slippery pavement? That feeling usually sends your heart into a panic! No matter who you are–an athlete, a multitasking 30 something, middle aged, or a senior–you can benefit from working on your balance. It only takes a few minutes a day to see amazing results in your reaction time, ankle strength and leg endurance.
Here are a few exercises to do at home everyday:
- As you brush your teeth in the morning, stand on your left foot and brush with your right hand. Do the opposite in the evening.
- Take a few minutes and stand toes to heel. Turn your head to the right and look over your shoulder and then to the left about five times. Switch feet and repeat. To make it more challenging, close your eyes.
Here are a few more exercises you can do at the fitness center with the help of some equipment:
- Try squats on the Bosu Balance Trainer.
- Stand on different wobble boards or the half-foam rollers.
- Stand on a platform with one leg and lower your other leg to the floor.
- Ask a trainer for more options.
Over time your stability will improve and your reaction time will increase. Have fun and get balanced!
Do you feel like you are balanced? What exercises or classes do you use to improve your balance? Tell us in the comments!
Elite Sports Clubs offers many group exercise classes and small group training programs to help you work on your overall balance. Not sure where to start? Our fitness staff would be happy to offer you a fitness assessment to evaluate your current level of balance and determine exercises to help you improve.
By Bernie Feyrer, Personal Trainer, Elite Sports Club-Mequon